13 Ships were named ADVENTURE. The first was a 26-gun galley launched in 1594 and the last was a minelayer in WWII, launched in 1924. HMS Adventure, pennant numberM23, was a minelayingcruiser of the Royal Navy built in the 1920s that saw service during the Second World War. Her commander between 1928 and 1929 was the future First Sea LordJohn H. D. Cunningham. Laid down at Devonport in November 1922 and launched in June 1924, Adventure was the first vessel built for service as a minelayer, she was also the first warship to use diesel engines, being used for cruising. On entering the service she joined the Atlantic Fleet. From 1931-1932, she underwent a refit. During this refit she received a rounded stern in place of the original square one. In the early months of the Second World War, she was damaged in the Thames Estuary and was repaired at Sheerness. In 1940, she laid minefields in the Orkney Islands and St. George's Channel and in 1941 was damaged by a mine while off Liverpool. In 1944, she was converted to a landing craftrepair and accommodation ship; in 1945 was reduced to reserve; and in 1947 was sold to Thos W Ward. and broken up at Briton Ferry.